Monday 2 September 2013

Lightning Storms and Ultimate Frisbee

Parties and Lightning 

I don't feel very well. I went to a party on Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night, and on Sunday night I was hanging out with people until midnight. I only drank a lot on Thursday, so I am not hungover, just actually ill.

On Saturday night, I ended up at another party hosted by the frisbee team. I learnt another weird fact about America: in house parties where the alcohol is provided boys have to pay to get in, but girls don't. This is really, really stupid. I understand paying for alcohol but I don't understand the gender divide. Being allowed to shoot stray deer with bows and arrows actually makes more sense. It was raining quite a bit and there was the loudest thunder I have ever heard.

After the party, when it had stopped raining, I thought I was heading with a group of people to a party just round the corner from me, but it turned out I was heading off campus on an extremely long walk across Bloomington, to the house of a guy named 'Douchebag Nick.' (He introduced himself as Nick but the douchebag was implied). On the way, we got caught in a lightning storm. It was the heaviest rain I had ever been in, and there were actual lightning bolts rather than just flashes. Douchebag Nick thought it would be cool to take off his shirt and then walk really slowly in front of me.

We arrived at Douchebag Nick's house at around three am, dripping wet, and tried to call two taxis, neither of which showed up. I kind of think they assume we're prank callers with fake British accents. Douchebag Nick offered to drive us home, claiming he's 'a really good driver when drunk.' In the end a girl called her sister who also goes to IU to come pick us up, which was lovely.

Ultimate Frisbee

Despite feeling ill, I thought it would wrong to not show up to Ultimate Frisbee practice after attending two of their parties. I really enjoyed the first four minutes where we sat down on the grass, but after that they asked us to run around the field (I ran a quarter of the way and then cut across.) Everytime they asked us to do any exercise, I wailed 'Noooo' as quietly as I could. At one point I considered running and hiding behind a tree, but I knew they would see me before I reached a hiding place, plus I can't run.

One girl actually threw up halfway though, which was good because I thought it was going to be me that did that. It was awful. They told me it was light-hearted fun but it wasn't. Next practice is on Wednesday but I'm hoping they'll forget I was ever there, or assume my visa expired and I was deported or something.

Funny Questions: 

Is Scotland in England?

Can you run across this field?

No comments:

Post a Comment