Tuesday 17 September 2013

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Tears

It's been exactly a month since I arrived in Indiana, and stress and emotion levels are running high.

Certain people (by which I mean me, but not just me) had a lot to drink and then cried at a party. I was not the first person from Britain to have a bit of a cry in front of other people, I think I was either the fourth or fifth, so that's not too embarrassing. Basically the accommodation situation is not ideal, because my building is pretty antisocial. Everybody seems to only be friends with their clone suitemate, who they share a bathroom with. I mean, literally, there are two large blonde girls with glasses, two pairs of really identical looking black girls, two athletic brown-haired guys, and a genuine pair of identical twins. It's like Noah's Ark. My suitemate, on the other hand, is a Chinese international student. She's really nice, I have absolutely no complaints about her use of the bathroom or anything, it's just she doesn't speak English.

Rather than moving like some of the other English people in my building are doing, which is a lot of hassle, I'm going to persevere. There's a social in the basement tomorrow anyway, and I've got plenty of activities and meetings lined up for this week. Plus I'm making headway with making American friends.

Blood

As for the blood test, it was amazingly ok. I lay down and chatted to the nurse, and at one point somebody called Meryl came to help with something blood-related (I don't know any more medical details than that because I was deliberately not looking or listening properly). As I didn't look at her, I'm going to assume it was Oscar-winning actress Meryl Streep. I didn't feel even a little bit faint, which was fantastic. Plus I've been told I have great veins, so that's a wonderful compliment.

Sweat

I actually have nothing to write about sweat, except that even though I'm excluding myself a bit I have no regrets about not joining the Frisbee team. Apparently yesterday they had to do five push-ups every time they missed the frisbee, which sounds like the kind of thing that might happen in the depths of hell or in a prison for people who have committed the worst crimes imaginable. I am positively celebrating the recent drop in temperature because I prefer to avoid unnecessary sweating.

Other Stuff

The International Student who is not from Kent and had to go to court for drinking three days before his twenty-first birthday had another adventure. This time he ended up in A&E because he was so drunk he had to go on a drip, and now he has to pay over $1000 in medical bills. Bets are being placed on how long he will remain in the United States

No comments:

Post a Comment