Saturday 21 September 2013

Chicagogate and the American Health Service

There has been a lot of drama amid the British students at Indiana this week, in which certain people got invited on an extremely spontaneous trip to Chicago and certain other people (myself included) didn't. Some people going to Chicago have been extremely guilty and upset about this, having been invited through no fault of their own. Others perhaps less so. It kind of feels like we're all in Year Seven and someone's not invited certain people to their birthday party. A lot of times in the past few days I've suddenly found myself thinking "But we're in our twenties!" It also ruined some plans we had made involving tickets to see Blue Man Group which are so complicated and stressful that I cannot be bothered to explain, except that it is all fine because even though I am now not seeing them I have got my money back.

Although there are individuals among the Brits who I really like, I am relieved that I did not join the frisbee team, and not just because of the physical torture. It's all become a bit too cliquey, which I thought wasn't a thing that happened at university. 

On a separate note, I fell over and grazed my knee during a torrential downpour while attempting to climb over a small wall on the way to class (the path was blocked off and it was the only way to avoid being late.) It became infected and I spent this morning at the doctors and then this afternoon buying new jeans to replace the ones that tore when I fell. 

Here is what happened at the Health Center walk-in clinic before they looked at my knee. I had to see three different people:

1. They measured my height and weight.

2. They took my temperature

3. They took my blood pressure (I said "Um...I'm here about my knee.")

4. They listened to my heart and lungs.

5. They asked me if my parents were alive and healthy, whether I had any siblings, and whether they were healthy. 

6. They asked me about food allergies, medical history, and, bizarrely, drinking habits. I was completely sober when I grazed my knee, it was twenty past nine in the morning. 

As soon as he actually looked at my knee I was out of there within five minutes. It was cheaper than I expected, although more expensive than the jeans. 

On an unrelated note there is a frozen yoghurt shop about a ten minute walk from where I live and the choice of flavours and toppings is incredible. I was in there for two and a half hours with one of the other girls not in Chicago and it is my favourite place on campus. Frozen yoghurt is really good for you so it was basically like eating salad, but with cookie dough and chocolate sprinkles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment